Programme on Energy from Urban, Industrial, Agricultural Wastes/ Residues
The objective of the programme is to support the setting up of Waste to Energy projects for generation of Biogas/ BioCNG/ Power/ producer or syngas from urban, industrial and agricultural wastes/residues.
FY 2021-22 upto FY 2025-26
- The programme provides Central Financial Assistance (CFA) to project developers and service charges to implementing/inspection agencies in respect of successful commissioning of Waste to Energy plants for generation of Biogas, Bio-CNG/enriched Biogas/Compressed Biogas, Power/ generation of producer or syngas.
- Financial assistance available under the Programme for setting up Waste to Energy plant is as follows:
- BioCNG/Enriched Biogas/ Compressed Bio Gas-
- a) Rs 4.0 Cr per 4800 kg/day (for BioCNG generation from new biogas plant)
- b) Rs 3.0 Cr per 4800 kg/day (for BioCNG generation from existing Biogas plant*)
- (Maximum CFA of Rs. 10.0 Cr/project for both cases.)
- Power (based on Biogas):
- a) Rs 0.75 Cr/MW (for power generation from new biogas plant)
- b) Rs 0.5 Cr /MW (for power generation from existing Biogas plant)
- (Maximum Central Financial Assistance (CFA) of Rs. 5.0 Cr/project for both cases)
- Power based on bio & agro-industrial waste (other than MSW through incineration process): Rs 0.4 Cr/MW (maximum CFA of Rs. 5.0 Cr/project)
- Biomass Gasifier for electricity/thermal applications:
- a) Rs. 2,500 per kWe with dual fuel engines for electrical application
- b) Rs. 15,000 per kWe with 100% gas engines for electrical application
- c) Rs. 2 lakh per 300 kWth for thermal applications.
- The eligible Central Financial Assistance (CFA) would be 20% higher for plants set up in Special Category States/UTs (NE Region, Sikkim, Himachal Pradesh , Uttarakhand, Jammu & Kashmir, Ladakh, Lakshadweep and Andaman & Nicobar Islands), and Biomethanation plants set up in registered Gaushala/Shelter.
- Service charge @1% of total Central Financial Assistance (CFA) (minimum of Rs 50,000/-) would be provided for both Implementing Agency and Inspection Agency.
- Application to be accepted through online portal only.
- Projects with loan from Bank/FI, and Self-financed projects are considered.
- Recommendation of Project Appraisal Committee (PAC) will be mandatory only for self-financed projects.
- SCADA System/remote monitoring system has been mandated for WTE projects except in the case of Biomass Gasifiers.
- The amount of Central Financial Assistance (CFA) to be disbursed for the WTE projects will be calculated based on the performance the projects.
- Provision of providing advance Central Financial Assistance (CFA) for bank financed BioCNG projects under SATAT Initiative has been included.
- IREDA has been designated as the Implementing Agency.
How to avail the financial assistance
The proposal for grant of “In-Principle” approval of Central Financial Assistance (CFA) will be accepted through BioURJA Portal (https://biourja.mnre.gov.in) before commissioning of the Waste to Energy (WTE) plant.
For projects with debt/loans from FIs/Banks, the Ministry shall issue an “In-Principle” approval with the concurrence of Integrated Finance Department(IFD) and approval of Secretary, MNRE.
For projects without debt/loan or projects the Implementation Agency shall examine and put up the applications to Project Appraisal Committee (PAC) following which the Ministry shall issue an “In-Principle” approval with the concurrence of Integrated Finance Department(IFD) and approval of Secretary, MNRE.
- The time period for commissioning is 24 months for Waste to Energy (WTE) plants and 12 months for Biomass Gasifiers from the date of “In-Principle” approval.
- CFA to be awarded for Waste to Energy plants, based on the performance of the project for at least three consecutive months, may be seen below-
Average PLF achieved during minimum 3 consecutive months % of eligible Central Financial Assistance (CFA) ≥80% 100% ≥ 60% and < 80% 80% ≥ 50% and < 60% 60% <50% 0%
The condition of successful commissioning for Biomass gasifier would imply operation of the Gasifier for atleast 3 consecutive months, including continuous operation for at least 3 consecutive days at an average PLF of 60% of rated capacity (taking 12 Hrs per day as standard operating hours).
Whom to contact
Director, Waste to Energy Division (Sh. Aseem Kumar, Director)
- Administrative Approval for implementation of Waste to Energy Programme under the Umbrella Scheme of National Bioenergy Programme for duration of FY 2021-22 to 2025-26(Phase-1) (3 mb, PDF)
- New scheme guidelines for Waste to energy dated 3 Nov, 2022 (3 mb, PDF)