The Ministry has been implementing a broad based Research, Development Demonstration (RD&D) programme for Hydrogen Energy and Fuel Cells with the following objectives:
- Study & evaluate the feasibility of production of hydrogen by various processes/ techniques, especially based on renewable energy methods;
- Development of materials/processes/sub-systems/systems for storage of hydrogen;
- Support projects on utilization of hydrogen as a fuel for stationary, automobile and portable applications;
- Support projects for development of hydrogen infrastructure for production, storage and applications of hydrogen, including safety, standards and codes, capacity building & public awareness;
- Support demonstration projects relating to production, storage and applications of hydrogen.
- R&D on fuel cell technology including materials/cells stack/sub-system development;
- Performance improvements; and
- Indigenous production and promotion of applications of fuel cell technology for power generation, transport and other applications.
As on date, MNRE is supporting 26 RD&D projects on various aspects of hydrogen energy and fuel cells.